Daycare Tax Tips

Here's how to request a child care provider's tax id number

Alison answers a parent's question this time

A parent writes:

> My son's child care provider has refused to give me her tax id number. I have terminated care because I suspect she is commiting tax fraud. How do I get her number to claim on my taxes?

Give the child care provider an IRS Form W-10, Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification, which she is required by law to fill out and return to you. You can tell her that the penalty for not providing the information requested on the W-10 is $50.

Still, your provider may or may not fill out the form. Don't worry. There is a way to file Form 2441 and get your Dependent Care Credit without the provider's tax id number. Follow the Form 2441 instructions for Line 1 under "Due Diligence" on page 2.

Best of luck!

Last updated 3 February 2012

Posted on 2010-02-05 20:26:18